Internet in your car? It’s here. Chevrolet is the first and only car company to bring built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi to cars, trucks, and SUVs.
Early in 2014, Chevrolet announced that they would be introducing OnStar with AT&T’s 4G LTE technology starting with most 2015 year-model vehicles. (Read our post about it here.) The technology will be an optional feature that will be available with OnStar-equipped vehicles that are 4G LTE-ready, which will allow drivers to turn their vehicles into a mobile WiFi hotspot.
Starting with the Basics
The OnStar Basic Plan is included with the price of the vehicle for FIVE YEARS, which includes:
- RemoteLink Key Fob Services – Remote start, lock/unlock, honk horn, and flash your lights right from your smart phone.
- OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics lets you run a diagnostic check of your vehicle and receive monthly diagnostic emails.
- Directions and Connections – Free for the complimentary trial period associated with the vehicle brand and model.
OnStar with 4G LTE and Wi-Fi customers also get three months or 3GB of Wi-Fi Service (whichever comes first) just so you can test it out and see if you like it! So what can you do with 3 gigabytes of data? According to AT&T Support, 3GB is enough to:
- Send or receive about 4,200 emails with attachments
- Stream music for 36 hours
- Visit 600 web pages… or visit JeffGordonChevy.com 600 times
- Watch 5 hours of cat videos!
- Download 42 apps, games, or songs
- AND make 570 social media posts about how much better your car is better than everyone else’s because it has internet… and of course, share those cat videos you just watched for 5 hours.
- Be able to connect up to 7 devices at once! This includes your phones, tablets, laptops, and anything else you have that can connect to the internet.
- The fast, reliable WiFi hotspot is more powerful than a phone hotspot (and you won’t have the same problem with battery life that you would on your phone.)
- It’s always on when the vehicle is running, or in accessory mode. In accessory mode, average battery will provide up to a half-hour of usage. Actual time may vary based on battery health.
- The hotspot will extend up to 50 feet beyond the vehicle!
- After your trial period or anytime you need help, you’re still going to have the blue OnStar button right on your rear-view mirror!
Chevrolet is rolling out 4G LTE Wi-Fi on more models than any other car company, starting in June with the 2015 Malibu, Impala and Volt. Later this summer, the technology is coming to the 2015 Equinox, Silverado, Corvette, Sonic, and Spark.
Click here for more info on the OnStar with 4G LTE service.
For more information on the arrival of the 4G LTE-equipped models at Jeff Gordon Chevrolet in Wilmington, NC, just fill out the form below to send us an email! Or call us directly at (910)798-2650.